This is a quick and easy recipe, that makes a tasty lunch. It’s also great as a simple starter, that can be done with little fuss if you are cooking for other people.
The bright tangy orange balances the salty cheese and crunch of the nuts brings it all together.
1 Large orange
225 grams Halloumi
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
25 grams Hazelnuts
1 Packet of mixed salad
Olive oil and vinegar to dress the salad
- Cut the peel from the orange, making sure you take all the white pith off. You should cut out segments (leaving the skin between the segments behind), or cut the peeled orange across thinly in rounds if you prefer. (This can be done in advance, this is useful if you are making this as a starter).
- In a dry pan toast the hazelnuts, until they smell nutty. Don’t leave these unattended as they can burn. (This can also be done advance if you are making this salad as a starter).
- Heat a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil, slice the halloumi in 1 cm thick slices and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Divide the salad between the plates and dress with your preferred dressing (for this salad, I prefer olive oil and white wine vinegar)
- Distribute the orange segments and hazelnuts between the plates and top with the fried halloumi.