These beautiful speckled little eggs may sound posh, but they can be bought pretty cheaply (I get mine from an Asian supermarket).
This is a really simple canapé if you want to impress dinner guests, or go down pretty well with a few cold beers. They can also be made well in advance so that you’re not running around like a crazy person. (Just remember to leave an extra dish out for your guests to throw their discarded egg shells in).
- Put a medium sized pan of water on to boil
- Put a small frying pan on to heat
- When the water is boiling, add the quail’s eggs and boil for 4 minutes.
- After the 4 minutes, take the eggs out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking
- In the frying pan add the cumin seeds and toast until you can smell the cumin, remove from the heat and mix with the salt
- Serve with eggs in a dish, with the cumin and salt alongside to dip the eggs in