I can’t take credit for this, the recipe comes from Mary Berry. Sometimes if something is perfect you shouldn’t mess with it.
It’s an incredibly easy cake to make and perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. I also like it as a dessert with ice cream or custard.
I’ve tried a pink grapefruit version of this and it was a really nice change, but either one is delicious.
For the cake
175 Grams Self raising flour
175 Grams Butter (softened)
175 Grams Caster sugar
3/4 Tsp Baking powder
Zest of one lemon
For the Icing
100 Grams Caster sugar
Juice of one lemon
- Sift the flour and sugar in to a bowl and add the other cake ingredients
- Pre heat an oven to 180 degrees, line a loaf tin with baking paper
- With an electric whisk, whisk all the ingredients together for 5 minutes until fully combined
- Transfer the mix to the loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes
- Mix 100 grams of caster sugar with the juice of one lemon to make the icing
- When you have removed the cake from the oven, pour over the icing while the cake is still warm
- Allow to cool before serving