In my quest to stop food hoarding I’m trying to work through stuff hiding in my freezer. I found a pack of sausage meat that had been been hanging about the freezer since Christmas.
I don’t usually buy sausage meat but the addition of caramelised onions and sweet apples make a scrumptious combination. I’ve included details of home made pastry, but you can use ready made short crust pastry if you prefer.
255 Grams Plain flour
100 Grams Butter (cut into small cubes)
1 Egg (beaten)
For the filling
450 Grams Sausage meat
2 Apples (cores removed, and cut into small chunks)
2 Onions (finely sliced)
1Tsp Dried thyme
1 Tbsp Oil
Salt and pepper
- Add the flour and butter to a food processor and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs (you can use the po”rubbing in method”, but a food processor is quicker
- Gradually add cold water to the mix until it comes together to form a ball. Wrap in cling film, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Add oil to a frying pan, add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes until browned. Allow to cool
- Add the fried onions, thyme, chopped apples, salt, pepper and sausage meat to a bowl. Combine the mix with you hands until all the ingredients are evenly distributed
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut approximately a third off and set to one side. On a floured surface, roll out the remaining two thirds.
- Grease a loose base pie tin, and then line the tin with the rolled out pastry
- Add the filling, and then roll out the remain third of the pastry to form a lid
- Brush the edges of the pastry lining the dish with the beaten egg. Lay the pastry lid on top and trim any pastry hanging over the edge of the tin with knife. Crimp the edges of the pie with a fork
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg, and cut some slices in the lid to allow steam to escape
- Pre heat your oven to 190 degrees, and add a baking sheet to heat as well. Put the pie dish into the baking sheet and bake the pie for 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the tin for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tin