This is a kind of a pimped up Croque Monsieur (fried cheese and ham sandwich).
I first had this years ago in France in a little café, when I was nursing a particularly rabid hangover and it was miraculous.
It also makes a super quick and easy meal at any time of day. If you’re vegetarian you can leave out the ham, and maybe swap it for some sauteed mushrooms (also delicious).
There are fancier recipes that involve bechemal sauces etc. I have stuck with the simple version I first ate years ago and it literally takes 5 minutes.
2 Slices of bread
Enough sliced/grated cheese to cover a slice of bread (gruyer is traditional, but use what you have)
1 slice of smoked ham
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
(Plus a little extra oil to fry the egg)
- Add the oil and butter to a pan and heat over a medium heat
- Lay the ham and cheese over a slice of bread and top with the other slice before carefully adding to the pan
- Cook for a few minutes and press down gently with a fish slice/spatula until the bottom is brown and crispy, and the gently turn the sandwich and cook on the other side
- In a small pan, add a little oil and heat before frying your egg until the white is cooked but the yolk is still soft
- Transfer the sandwich to a plate and top with fried egg, and voilà