It was the week before payday, and I was scanning round the kitchen for what I could make for dinner. I was lucky enough to find some minced lamb and frozen peas in the freezer.
This is may not be 100% authentic, but tasted great. It was even better the next day. A good spice cupboard can transform anything into a brilliant meal.
500 Grams Lamb mince
400ml Tin of tomatoes
250 Grams Frozen peas
1 Onion (Finely sliced)
2 Cloves of garlic (Minced)
4cm Piece of ginger (Grated)
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Cumin
1Tsp Chilli powder (optional)
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Gram Masala
1 Tsp Nigella (onion) seeds
1 Tbsp Oil (flavourless, like sunflower)
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced onion, cook for about 15 minutes, stir as needed until caramelised (this adds loads of flavour)
- Take onions out of the pan and set to one side. Add the Nigella seeds to the pan cook for a for 2 minutes or until you hear them popping. Take care not to let them burn. Remove from the pan and a side with the cooked onions
- Add the lamb to the pan along with the other spices, and continue cooking and stirring until the lamb is browned
- Add the peas, tomatoes and onion and Nigella seeds to the pan
- Simmer for 15 minutes, adding some water if it’s getting too dry.
- Serve with rice or flat breads