I love the flavours in a burrito bowl, and knocked this up one evening when I was craving some Tex Mex. You can adjust the chilli depending on how much heat you like.
This is full of great colours and flavours, and loads of protein. For vegetarians, this is also a super tasty meal without the chicken.
I topped this with some grated cheese, but it would also be fantastic topped with some avocado or sour cream (or all three if you’re straying into pure filth territory).
This is also a one pot dish, so less washing up is a win win.
Chicken thighs (8 small or 4 large)
1 Onion (sliced)
1 Red pepper (sliced)
400 Gram Tin of black beans
100 Gram Sweetcorn (I used frozen)
1 Tsp Smoked paprika
1 Tsp Chilli powder
1 Tsp Salt
2 Cloves of garlic (minced)
300 Grams Rice (I like basmati)
Handful of chopped coriander (optional)
- Heat a large flat bottomed pan (you will need one with a lid or that you can cover)
- Add the chicken thighs (skin side down first), cook until brown, turn and seal the other side
- Add the onion and peppers and cook for another 5-10 minutes
- Add the spices, garlic, corn and rice to the pan and stir well
- Add the passata and a little water, cover with a lid and simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Stir the mixture adding more water if it needs it (the rice should absorb all the liquid, so if the rice still isn’t cooked keep adding water (a little at a time, until its absorbed and the rice is cooked)
- Stir in the coriander if you’re using it (I know some people detest it, so please yourself). Serve in bowls with your favourite topping or just as it is