This is a real reminder of school dinners for me.
If you aren’t confident with desserts this is really easy. All the ingredients for the sponge are dumped in a bowl and whisked together before being baked. The topping is simply ready made jam and coconut.
The sponge also freezes really well, so if you’re super organised make a double batch of the mix. Bake two sponges, and when completely cool, wrap one one of the sponges in cling film and freeze, top with jam and coconut once thawed.
I’ve used margarine in this (Mary Berry claims it’s better for sponge cakes, and who am I to argue), it’s also cheaper. Feel free to use butter if you prefer
Serve with custard for the perfect comforting dessert.
For the sponge
225 Grams Self raising flour
225 Grams Sugar
225 Grams Margarine
For the topping
200 Grams Jam
25 Grams Dessicated coconut
- Add all the ingredients for the sponge in a bowl. Mix with an electric whisk for 5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees
- Line a 30cm x 18cm square cake tin with baking parchment. Transfer the sponge mix into the tin and spread evenly with a spatula
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, and allow to cool
- Stir the jam and if it’s too thick to spread add a table spoon of hot water and mix well
- Spread the jam evenly across the sponge and sprinkle with coconut