When it’s cold and wet outside its nice to have a recipe that you can rustle up something yummy out of what you have in the cupboards. These are great for brunch, lunch boxes, or just because you want something nice with a cup of tea or coffee.
I’ve used frozen blackberries and orange zest to flavour these. This can be swapped for blueberry and lemon, which is also delicious. Dried fruit works well too.
Makes 12 Muffins
300 Grams Self raising flour
100 Grams Sugar
100 Grams Butter
150 Grams Blackberries (defrost first if using frozen)
1 Tsp Vanilla extract
1 Tsp Baking powder
Zest of one orange
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (Celsius), line a muffin tin with paper cases
- In a mixer or with an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together
- Add the eggs and mix well before adding the flour (set aside 2 Tbsps of flour), baking powder, orange zest and vanilla and mix until combined (it might look a bit lumpy, but that’s OK)
- Toss your fruit in the flour you set aside (this will stop it sinking to the bottom of your muffins). Gently fold the fruit through your muffin mix
- Spoon the mix into your muffin cases as evenly as possible and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown