Everyone loves Mexican food, and while I make no claims that someone from Mexico would say this is just like their Mum would make, I think it tastes amazing. If you like pulled pork but never thought of trying it at home, you should give this a go. It really is simplicity itself, all you need is time, so perfect for the weekend when you kick back or get on with other things while the oven does all the work for you.
I love this in tacos but you can add it to burritos or sandwiches. While this does take some time, it’s a simple recipe and is ideal to feed a group of people cheaply. I used pork shoulder which is inexpensive and really benefits from being marinated and cooked long and slow.
1 Kg Pork shoulder
100 ml Orange juice (I used the juice of 2 oranges)
1 Tbsp Tomato puree
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Chilli powder
2 Tsp Smoked paprika
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- Cut your pork into 4 chunks
- In a sealable freezer bag add all the other ingredients and squish together to make sure they are well mixed
- Add the pork to the bag and seal, rub the bag to make sure the marinade covers the pork and then put in the fridge. If you can marinade this for 24 hours this is ideal. If you don’t have that sort of time try to marinade for least an hour
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees (Celsius). Put your pork and the marinade in an oven proof dish with a lid and place in the oven for 3.5 hours.
- Remove from the oven and shred the meat with two forks and mix in with the cooking juices for super tasty pulled pork